Wednesday, September 12, 2012

After reading the excerpt of "The Right to Write" by Julia Cameron, I have mixed opinions. By itself, it is by any measure a useful tool to any budding writer. Its advice is simple yet thought provoking. Its main argument is to not let yourself get between you and writing. The key to writing is not putting labels on times when or when not to write, just write as it comes to you. However, as someone who has spent a somewhat extended period of time writing, I am not a fan of the writing exercises themselves. Maybe its just me, but I just feel like exercises such as the ones Ms. Cameron features in her book are, well, "gimmicky." Personally, I am not a believer in such exercises. I see them as little more than a waste of time and a good way to waste ink during a bout of writer's block. In the end, I find Ms. Cameron's advice and testimonial regarding writing far more pointed and relevant than her suggested exercises. If those are the exercises that help form a writer, then maybe you can just call me a couch potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment